Saturday, March 14, 2015

Tell Me How It Made You Feel..

It's been a while since we've shown you all our writing, so I thought ...

Alarm clocks graphics
"what better time than now?!"

Now, as we move into the spring of kindergarten, we know how to be writers: stories have words AND detailed pictures, we write about things that happen to us, and we're using our own inventive spelling (went may look like wet OR because may look like bcuz). These skills show how far your student's have come as writers and how much they have learned so far. Just look where we were in September here!
Each time we begin Writer's Workshop we come together and help Mrs. I. write a story making sure we use what we know about letters and sounds and our sight words!

This month, we're beginning to focus on making sure we add in a sentence that tells the reader how it made the writer feel. In the above story, I used my opinion (the food was yummy) to tell the reader how I felt about my story. I am trying to help students move away from the old standbys: it was fun, it was good, it made me feel happy, it made me feel sad, etc. 

Now it's the student's turn to tell us how they feel...

I have a wiggly tooth. Hannah wiggled one of my teeth. My one tooth felt like it was bleeding.
[This writer is exploring adding in details about feeling physical things (which is still a feeling!)]
I went bike riding with my sister. It made me happy. And my mom (was there).
I saw the movie Big Hero Six. I went with mommy and daddy and Mary. I love it.


Keep a look out for more details in your student's writing. Ask them to make sure they tell you:
1. Where they went
2. Who they were with
3. How it made them feel


This is a writing Common Core Standard: W.K.3 - Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to narrate a single event or several loosely linked events, tell about the events in the order in which they occurred, and provide a reaction to what happened.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments:

Post a Comment